Going Organic with 100% Organic Cotton

 

I added another pot holder to my Etsy Shop today!  Lately, I’ve been making an effort to create pot holders using 100% organic cotton fabric.

LOVE this fabric!!!  (by Nancy Mims/”Chick Chick”)

IMG_3254


To me, it makes sense for my pot holders to be as eco-friendly as possible.  After all, I’m giving new life to re-purposed denim jeans.



Staying with that line of reasoning (recycling and being kind to the planet), it just seemed to make sense to also use the most eco-friendly (yet fashionable) cotton fabric.


At this time, it is very difficult to find other sustainable types of fabric (hemp, soy or bamboo) that is

A. affordable enough to use in a project for resale and

B. are designed with fun, inviting prints that people would WANT to buy for their home




But what about the DYES, you ask?  Just how “Green” are you being?


Although I’m able to find 100% Organic Cotton fabric, the industry is still working on Chemical Free Dyes.  It is my understanding that companies using organic cotton are trying to use “low impact dyes”.



Hey, it wasn’t too terribly long ago that the idea of using 100% Organic Cotton fabric would have been inconceivable.  We’ve come far!!

And the farming practices behind Organic Cotton are fabulous and VERY good for the environment!!

That being said…here is the latest Pot Holder in my shop using Re-Purposed Denim Jeans and 100% Organic Cotton fabric for the lining!


IMG_3250


IMG_3251

IMG_3252 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...